(what it means to keep a WordPress site secure)
WordPress site security is one of the most crucial/essential thing for any website owner to observe and take care of in their website/blog if you are serious about your blog. WordPress site security guidelines are to guide your site and stay safe from hackers and malware.
Hackers use automated tools that allows them wash hundreds and thousands of website vulnerabilities, and your website might be one of them even maybe your site isn’t popular, it might be one of the target.
I Think the big deal is not all about creating a site or making it go viral but making it secure is the most important thing for your site. Can you imagine having a website/blog wish took you enough money to setup with all the information it contains being washed away or hacked just at a glance.
“What step do “you” as a website owner, blogger need to take to ensure that your website is safe??”
- Use Reliable Third party Softwares:
Try to make use of premium plugins and themes, stay away from free plugins and themes that have no much number of downloads. Try to have the plugins audited by a security expert, if you can’t afford to do that then try Sucuri’s (Sucuri is a leading provider of security solutions for wordpress users). Using a premium theme or plugins does not mean your site is 100% safe but you will be certain because Theme and plugins developers have a great deal riding on their product, and the last thing they want on their product is the appearance of vulnerability. Stick to the plugins listed on the wordpress.org directory for free plugins. Premium plugins are better in the sense that their team are likely to respond to any security vulnerability quicker than free plugins and theme. “Use Wp security Audit Log” to track everything that runs under your website’s hood”.
- Choose A Good Host Service Provider:
Good amount of Vulnerabilities exist because of the problems created at the server side of your website. The hosting service provider is the greatest source of your website vulnerabilities. A third party host can’t do much change/fixing to protect your website. So Choose the right and good hosting service provider.
- Shared Hosting – SiteGround: They provide account isolation to protect you against other websites on the same server which may be harmful or vulnerable.
- WPEngine: Costly,but worth it. Makes it more easier to rationalize cost
Your website is not just going to be safer with WPengine, it will be faster as well
- Protect Your Login Page:
Your wordpress Login page is the major target for brute force attacks. If your login page does not get the appropriate security measures to prevent attacker on it, then your login page becomes the most vulnerable part of your website.
Try choosing a strong username and password, many website/blog owners still use the WordPress default username “Admin” and this is very easy to predict-Change your username to something else or use “Admin Renamer Extended” plugin which changes the username.
Using unusual random string of characters as your password will help secure your site from intruders and harm.
- Use Secure FTP:
With a good file transfer protocol (FTP) the chances that someone may intercept and find vulnerabilities to exploit your website increases. You can use FileZilla or FireFTP to get started
- Change The Wp_table Prefix: By default all wordpress tables begins with a wp_prefix. Changing the wp table prefix of the whole website and make it a more difficult one for hackers to penetrate your website. You can change the wp table prefix by going to the PHPMyAdmin or any other database managers, also there is a security plugin ( iTheme Security ) already to help out with it, with this very security plugin it makes it almost impossible for any intruders .
- Enable Automatic Update of Plugins, Themes and WordPress: Try as much to enble your auto update of the wordpress, plugins and themes, much threats lies in outdated themes, plugins of the wordpress. All the outlisted security measures are virtually useless if you deal in previous/non-current of the wordpress software
- Back up: I think every good website developer, blogger have to know the basic importance of backing-up their website, personally its one of the security measures you must have in mind as a website owner/administrator or anything. There are some freemium plugins like” Updraft Plus” to help with the backup services without paying a dime, with these very plugin you can save a copy and backup your website on a storage provided by a number of different services. Know that with free plugin for back-ups you can only save in one location but with premium you can save in different backup service providers like DropBox, Google Drive, RackSpace Cloud, .
I would personally recommend “BackUp Buddy”, “VaultPress” or “BlogVault” I think they are really good.